Sunday, February 10, 2008

GONE!!!

Well, I might have added a picture or two to my blog tonight, but I don't have any to add. They are gone. Yes, ALL of them, completely gone! Why? Good question. We got back from a short overnight trip tonight and in the ca. 36 hours we were gone, they disappeared. Where? Who knows! Evan, who has pretty much been a computer genius (or so we thought) since before he was 2, somehow sent them into that computer land in the sky where things go away and you don't know where they go or how to get them back.

Lately, when he's been playing on the Internet (Disney Playhouse), he's been a little braver and more experimental--clicking on icons, resizing windows, etc. I keep threatening him, saying he can't play on the computer if he keeps clicking on things and messing things up, but obviously that has done nothing.

I clicked on iPhoto tonight and it said "Your photo library was not found." Neither was the one in Photo Booth. In fact, the entire Pictures folder no longer exists! Yes, we've looked around, but we're not going to do anything drastic until Casey talks to Travis at work. He's gotten us out of a few hiccups before so I have great faith in him.

Since we have a Mac I do have high hopes that nothing is gone for good, but it's more than a little disconcerting to come home and find over a year's worth of family photos gone! Evan's last 2 birthdays (we'll see if he makes it to another one after this incident), Owen's entire life, all of Casey's reference photos for his paintings ... I'm getting sick just thinking about it.

If anyone knows how to recover my Pictures folder, please let me know. Otherwise, keep your fingers crossed for me because this is going to be a pretty lame blog without any pictures. And please don't lecture me about backing things up, saving to CDs, etc. I've been feeling guilty about not doing that for quite some time now. I think I've learned my lesson.

3 comments:

Christina said...

That's so sad!!!! If your friend can't find them maybe you could call Applecare. There has to be a way to get them back!!

Amanda said...

I know--they can't be gone forever, right? Thanks for the advice. I might try that.

Casey Childs said...

If we had "Leopard", Mac's latest OS, we could use Time Machine which restores everything back to how it was on a certain date. Guess it's time for an upgrade....