Sunday, January 16, 2011

June 2010

Last June was a busy and fun month.

We had a pretty incredible storm one night that produced a gorgeous sky.


And I was sure that I would be able to capture some lightning with my new camera. Well, I didn't, but the pictures were still beautiful.


Our great friends, the Peads, invited us up to spend a night at their time-share at Snowbird, a big ski resort near Salt Lake. The creek that runs through the Little Cottonwood Canyon area was a raging river at the time. On our way up to Snowbird, we were stopped on the road because of issues with the river overflowing and flooding and causing erosion. We were stopped right by the local CBS 2News truck where Cristina Flores was reporting on the situation right in front of us.


The kids enjoyed the ride up to the room in the cart with all the luggage.


The set-up of this place was perfect: a kitchen/living area in the middle (complete with hot tub on the deck) and 2 huge bedrooms/bathrooms coming off of that. Here we are enjoying a nice spaghetti dinner soon after we arrived.


Evan and Mallory headed straight for the hot tub after dinner.


I love this picture because it portrays their personalities and how they interact perfectly! Mallory is a little more aggressive than Evan and his face shows how he feels about it sometimes.


Here is the creek (raging river).


My cousin told me that someone she used to nanny was teaching private and semi-private swim lessons at his parents' house over the summer and asked if I would like to join them. Absolutely! It was the perfect solution for shy, water-cautious Evan. Christopher was awesome! He has a way with kids.


It's amazing that he would barely let his head touch the water the first day, but by the end of the 2 weeks he was bobbing. We went back for another session in July, which I will have more pictures of.


Kate got Emily a Slip 'n' Surf for her birthday. It's like a Slip 'n' Slide, but with a small, boogie board-sized surf board that you ride on. Here they are helping Evan. I played with the camera while they all tried it out, taking a ton of pictures that you can scroll through quickly to make it look like a movie. I included some of the best pictures here.


Here are the boys squirting Kate ... as if she didn't have enough water to help her along.


Owen liked to squirt other people ...


but he did not like to be squirted, accidentally or not! (He was not a water kid the entire summer.)


Here is one of Emily's best moves.


This one had a great splash. It was funny to see them try out all the different ways to "surf" ... on their feet, on their bellies, taking the board with them, having the board waiting there for them, etc.


This has got to be one of the coolest falls ever! Good job, Kate!


Even Casey tried it out. I think because he was a skater (as in skate boarder) back in the day he thought he could master this. Okay, not to bad ...


hmm ...


and he's down.


This kid sure enjoyed it, though.


Even Putty enjoyed hanging out on the deck and watching.


Cute!


And we went from that gorgeous day to this cold, rainy day in June. This was at the Orem Arts Festival where Casey had a booth set up. Owen was dancing to a guy singing with his guitar. I don't know where that kid gets it, but he has mad dancing skills! Of course just after he got set up outside, they moved inside the library because of the weather.


Here's Casey doing a drawing demonstration of his cousin, Miss Orem 2010 Bridget Kreis.


Here's a picture of the weather that day. Brrrr!


And just like every year, with June comes Pleasant Grove's Strawberry Days. Just like last June and the June before that and probably every June from here on out, we have pictures of the kids at the carnival on the same rides, with the same carnies, for the same outrageous prices ...




This one started out okay, but did not end so well. Owen freaked out. Luckily they were the only two on because I'm pretty sure they ended the ride early. The highlight of Strawberry Days this year was volunteering to work a shift at the city-run food booth. Most of the time I filled drinks and took money in the greasy little trailer, which wasn't the greatest. But I got to eat as many cups of strawberries and cream as I wanted, even bypassing the huge line to get mine. And you can be sure I took advantage of that little perk!


Mama Jones brought us some oranges from Grandma Berkline's tree in California and helped the kids juice them. There is nothing better in the world!



Cute picture of the boys with Mama Jones!


And since I included a picture of Putty I guess I should show proof of our other cat, too. Harriette found a nice box that my mom was using as a mirror stand to hide in.

3 comments:

katealyson said...

Haha! Oh my gosh, I totally forgot about Slip 'n' Surf. Man that was fun...and painful. :) I love that pic of the boys with Mom. So cute!

suzytag said...

What a fun month! I can't stop laughing at those slip and slide pics! Too funny. And I love Cristina Flores!

The Accidental Somebody said...

Every one of these pics was awesome! Especially the slip n surf...the one of Kate falling made me chuckle out loud! And it was nice to see some warm-weather fun while holed up in my bed on a cold winter morning.

And those first pics of the storm clouds were so beautiful!!!

Kim :)